Thursday, March 10, 2011

Quarter for Your Thoughts

In my recent article about taking on a discipline that might deepen one's Lenten experience, I introduced the idea of a daily page, on which each quarter of the page would reflect one of four areas of experience. Together the pages comprise a sort of "spiritual journal," tracing the flow of energy in which we are blessed and others are blessed through us. Today I'd like to comment more specifically on each of the four concept areas.

  1. Something I gave to or did for another
    Spiritual Transaction: Investment in others

    These could be "reverse" images of items in #3 below. I held the door for someone; made a new pot of coffee after emptying one; picked up a friend from the auto repair shop; paid off someone's debt; sent a birthday card. The actions may involve large physical gifts and great expense, or the small favors and extensions of ourselves that some call random acts of kindness. They may be planned or unplanned, but they're not random at all. Rather, they're intentional investments of our energy and resources for the benefit of others with whom we share life's journey.
  2. Something I learned or created
    Spiritual Transaction: Investment in myself

    On the surface, these might look as though they belong in category #1, but the distinction that lands them here is their purpose of developing something in ourselves, and an accompanying feeling of accomplishment or growth. For example, creating a handmade greeting card belongs in #2; giving it away belongs in #1. Writing a song belongs in #2; performing it belongs in #1 (or maybe even both #1 and #2!). Researching a topic belongs in #2; writing an article from the research belongs in #2; sending the article to our friends belongs in #1.
  3. A gift or blessing I received
    Spiritual Transaction: Perceiving abundance

    I received a great e-mail. A long-lost high-school friend found me on Facebook. I read something that moved me. I came across a favorite pen I thought I'd lost. Someone thanked me. I spotted a rainbow. A child smiled and waved through a back car window. This section tends to be the most full on my pages; how about yours?
  4. A concern I release to God
    Spiritual Transaction: Cleaning house

    What preoccupies you? What drains your energy? What negative corner is your idle mind's favorite vacation spot? Release blame. Release guilt. Release dread. Release worry about money and death and tomorrow. Give up needing approval from everyone, or from women or men or that one person who you already know never gives it. Release fearing that you and your life will never be right until this happens or that goes away. Make room for knowing that God cares perfectly for all of those things and for you, and always has, and always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment